CCNM was originally founded as the Ontario College of Naturopathic Medicine (OCNM). The name officially changed to The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1992. The founding members of OCNM were NDs Robert B. Farquharson, Asa Herschoff, John G. LaPlante, Eric F. Shrubb, Gordon Smith and William Morris.
OCNM/CCNM has endured many homes until it settled on its current location including:
- 1978 - 1984: 43 Benton Street, Kitchener
- 1984 - 1986: 1263 Bay Street, Toronto
- 1986 - 1997: 60 Berl Avenue, Toronto
- 1997 - 1999: 2300 Yonge St. Toronto
- 1999 to current: 1255 Sheppard Avenue East, Toronto
Early in the formation of the College, the decision was made to incorporate OCNM as a non-profit, charitable enterprise with direct links to the profession, but also with an autonomous management group accountable to the executive of the board. Dr. Sandy Wood, ND spear-headed this initiative and on February 14th, 1984 The Institute of Naturopathic Education and Research (INER) was incorporated. The INER board continues to oversee the management of the College and is comprised of graduates of CCNM and public members.
OCNM had received candidacy status from CNME in 1992 and in 2000 CCNM received full accreditation.
For more detailed information on the history of OCNM/CCNM read The History of Naturopathic Medicine, a Canadian perspective.