Homeopathic Allium cepa
|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Allium cepa is a primary remedy for coryza, either from allergic or infections origin. It is very effective when used to treat acute allergic rhinitis or hay fever.
- Plant: Allium cepa, also known as Red Onion
- Short Form: All-c
- Hayfever and Allergic Reactions associated with violent sneezing and acrid discharge that corrodes the nose and lips. Hayfever is typically worse in August and worse on the left side.
- Colds and Flus with profuse, bland discharge from the eyes and acrid discharge from the nose which irritates the upper lip, violent sneezing fits, hacking cough in cold air that hurts the larynx.
Other common conditions: sneezing, stuffed up nose
- General: profuse, bland discharge from the eyes, profuse acrid and burning discharge from the nose, frequent, violent sneezing.
- Worse: warm room, cold wind, getting feet wet, dampness
- Better: cool, open air
- Psychological: afraid that the pain will be intolerable, anxiety about their symptoms
- Other symptoms: red, hot, dry and tight throat; rawness of throat with laryngitis, intense neck pain.
- Food and drink: desire for raw onions, strong hunger and thirst, aversion to cucumbers.
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms due to resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Allium cepa include:
- Allium cepa is typically an acute acting remedy
- typically low potencies are recommended
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing
- Hershoff Asa (2000) Homeopathic Remedies, A Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and their Homeopathic Treatments, Avery Publishing Group, New York
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1996) Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.