Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
From Health Facts
Latest Edit: Iva Lloyd, ND 2014-02-17 (EDT)
Polychlorinated biphenyls are one of many toxic environmental chemicals. Although PCBs have been banned in the United States and Canada for decades, they persistent as organic pollutant.
- old paints, varnishes, inks, hydraulic fluids
- farm-raised salmon is the primary source.
Impact on Health
- Autism, ADD, mental retardation, and cerebral palsy have been linked to environmental toxins such as lead, arsenic, toluene, PCBs and methylmercury.
- lowers immunity
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- disrupts thyroid and ovarian hormones
- associated with increased breast cancer risk
- impaired learning and memory
- impairs fetal brain development.
- Grandjean P, Landrigan PJ. Developmental neurotoxicity of industrial chemicals. Lancet;2006 Dec 16;368(9553):2167-78. PMID: 17174709.