Mean Platelet Volume (MPV)
From Health Facts
Latest Edit: Hector 2014-03-24 (EDT)
|See Also||Lab Tests|
- Fasting is not required for the test.
MPV is used in the evaluation of platelet disorders, especially thrombocytopenia.
High levels indicate:
- Valvular heart disease
- Immune thrombocytopenia
- Massive hemorrhage
- Vitamin B12 or folate deficiency
- Myelogenous leukemia
Low levels indicate:
- Aplastic anemia
- Chemotherapy-induced myelosuppression
Related tests include platelet aggregation, platelet antibody, platelet count, clot retraction, bleeding time.
- Pagana Kathleen D, Pagana Timothy J (2006) Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests, Mosby.
- Weatherby Dicken, Ferguson Scott (2002) Blood Chemistry and CBC Analysis: Clinical Laboratory Testing from a Functional Perspective, Bear Mountain.