|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
- Mineral: Causticum Hahnemanni, also known as Potassium Hydrate
- Short Form: Caust
- Cough with a constant desire to clear the throat, cough is dry, deep and hollow; Can't cough deep enough to raise mucus. Hoarseness. Burning pains, raw, sore chest. Scanty, greasy, soapy mucus. cough is better by cold drinks
- Incontinence and enuresis (bed wetting) during first part of sleep. Incontinence during day due to coughing, straining, laughing, sneezing, walking, or excitement.
- Arthritis and rheumatic complaints especially of the hands and fingers with stiffness, contraction of muscles, deformity, partially fused joints. Need to stretch. Restlessness. Weak, atrophied muscles. Numbness, cramps, twitches. strong emotional symptoms
- Fibromyalgia with contraction and stiffness of tendons, muscles, joints. Tearing, burning, drawing pain. Sense of long suffering or nursing of others.
- sensitive and excitable, sympathetic towards others
- compulsive and perfectionistic tendencies
- Triggers: long caring for others, history of a lot of grief or trauma
- General: burning, rawness, soreness, constant desire to clear through of mucus, hoarseness, chilly, aggravated by drafts
- Worse: wind, dry, cold air, evening
- Better: cold drinks, damp wet or rainy weather
- Psychological: serious, intense and sensitive, indignation from injustice or authority, empathetic people who can't bear to hear about the suffering of others, sympathetic individuals, anger over injustices, social activist tendencies, pollitical, fears something bad will happen
- Other symptoms: contracted muscles and tendons, obsessive tendencies, hurried,
- Food and drink: prefers salty, desire for bacon or smoked meat, aversion to sweets
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Causticum include:
- In chronic ailments and especially paralytic states, the higher potencies once or twice a week
- Incompatible: Phosphorus (the remedies should not be used after each other)
- Diphtherotoxin follows Caust in chronic bronchitis
- Complementary: Carbo, Petroselinum sativum
- Compare: Rhus toxicodendron, Arsenicum album, Ammonium phosphoricum (facial paralysis)
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing
- Hershoff Asa (2000) Homeopathic Remedies, A Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and their Homeopathic Treatments, Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1996) Pocket Manual of Hemoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.