|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
- Origin: Oleum petrae album, also known as Rock Oil or Kerosene
- Short Form: Petr
Chronic and Constitutional Conditions
- Eczema that is extremely dry and is red and raw, burning and itching and oozes after scratching. Deep cracks in folds, fingers. Bleed easily, become infected. Ulcerations. Eruptions of the palms, fingertips, bends of joints, behind the ears, genitals. Itching, scratches until it bleeds; the part becomes cold after scratching.
- Fissured skin that is extremely dry and is accompanied by deep cracks that bleed easily
- Psoriasis that causes the skin to be very dry and sensitive. Rough, thick, leathery; tight and constricted. Eruptions in the palms, fingertips, bends of joints, behind the ears and genitals. Deep raw cracks; won't heal but bleed, become infected. Brown spots. Itching, scratch until bleed; the part becomes cold after scratching.
- Herpes that spreads to the anus or thigh, eruptions and moisture of genitalia, scrotum and inner thigh
Other common conditions: Bedsores, Vertigo, Motion Sickness, Seasickness, Airsickness
- Triggers: chronic unresolved skin conditions
- General: tremendous dryness of the skin, chilly
- Worse: traveling in a car, plane, train, or boat, winter, cold and damp weather
- Better: warm air, dry weather
- Psychological: feels that death is near and must settle affairs, gets lost in familiar places, can't make up his or her mind, irritable
- Other symptoms: sensation of great emptiness in the stomach, relieved by constant eating, hunger immediately after bowel movement or after diarrhea, must get up during the night to eat
- Food and drink: desire for beer, aversion to meat, fats, and cooked or hot foods
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms due to resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Petroleum include:
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (2000) Homeopathic Remedies, A Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and their Homeopathic Treatments, Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1997) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.