From Health Facts
Antioxidant is a substance (food, plant or mineral) that protects against oxidation and free radical damage. As oxidative stress appears to be an important part of many human diseases, antioxidants are used extensively in the prevention and treatment of a number of diseases.
Foods High in Antioxidants
Food that is fresh and local will have the highest antioxidant level. Specific foods include:
- Fruit especially berries, citrus fruit and grapes.
- Vegetables such as brocolli and other dark green vegetables, tomatoes, carrots and spinach
- Spices such as garlic and onions.
- Other foods include whole grains, Green tea, red wine
- Bacopa (Bacopa monniera)
- Bilberry (Vaccinum myrtillus)
- Cat's Claw (Acacia greggii)
- Chaparral (Larrea tridentata)
- Chinese Knotweed (Polygonum multiflorum)
- Coriolus (Coriolus versicolor)
- Elder (Sambucus nigra)
- Garlic (Allium sativum)
- Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)
- Grape Seed (Vitis spp)
- Green Tea (Camellia sinensis)
- Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
- Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum)
- Magnolia vine (Schisandra spp)
- Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum)
- Olive (Olea europaea) Leaf
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
- Pau d'Arco (Tabebuia avellanedae)
- Rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea)
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis)
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Other supplements such as glutathione, superoxide dismutase
- It is possible to consume too many antioxidants, especially when taking supplements. High dose antioxidants can actually decrease activity of cell repair, whereas low-dose antioxidant consumption (i.e., from food) is often more beneficial. There are specific diseases and conditions where antioxidant supplementation is beneficial. Check with your naturopathic doctor if they are beneficial for you.
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant
- ↑ Boon Heather, Smith Michael 2009 55 Most Common Medicinal Herbs: The Complete Natural Medicine Guide Second Edition Institute of Naturopathic Education and Research, CCNM Toronto.
- ↑ Godfrey Anthony, Saunders Paul, Barlow Kerry, Gowan Matt. 2011 Principles and Practices of Naturopathic Botanical Medicine, Advanced Botanical Medicine. V3 CCNM Press, Toronto
- ↑ (Jul 2010) Stem Cells'28(7):1178-85. tbr