The Cleaning Breath is a quick and efficient technique to relax the nervous system when you are stressed or upset. It is helpful when used on a daily basis to strengthen the body organs. During the cleansing breath you are listening for a deep, strong, full exhalation that is coming from the base of your abdomen. It is one of the breathing exercises recommended by naturopathic doctors.
- clears lungs, sinuses and nasal passages
- aids digestion
- purifies the bloodstream
- clears the head
- helps relieve tension and emotional distress
- relieves colds
- strengthens lungs, thorax and abdomen
- stimulates liver, spleen and pancreas
- tones the nervous system
- Inhale deeply, pushing the abdomen out, taking in as much air as possible in the space of 1 second.
- Tighten your abdomen in forcefully to expel the air through the nostrils.
- Inhale again by pushing the abdomen out and letting the air rush back into the lungs.
- The whole process, inhalation and exhalation, should take not much more than 1-1/2 seconds. Both should be forceful and will be quite audible.
- Do five to ten cleansing breaths a day, or as recommended by your Naturopathic Doctor.
Do's and Don'ts
- DO push the abdomen out as far as you can as you inhale.
- DO NOT exhale consciously, but let the action of the abdomen do it for you.