From Health Facts
(Redirected from Mediterranean diet)
Latest Edit: Hector 2014-03-13 (EDT)
|See Also||Naturopathic Therapies|
|See Also||Clinical Nutrition|
|Article||Mediterranean Diet and Lifestyle, NDNR; 2012 May|
|Article||Mediterranean Diet and Mortality: A Second Meta-Analysis, 2010 November Natural Medicine |
- Fats: Choose fish such as salmon, mackeral, cod and blue fish. Monounsaturated fats such as olive oil, flax seed and Omega-3 fatty acids are important.
- Choose a diet low in saturated fats by limiting dairy products and meats.
- Protein: Avoid large amounts or red meat. Include legumes, tofu and other plant-based protein foods.
- Carbohydrates: choose large amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables as they provide high amounts of dietary fibre and antioxidants. Choose low-glycemic foods.
- Avoid prepared and canned foods.
- Avoid soft drinks.
Value of the Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean Diet is often recommended in the treatment of: