|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Lachesis is typically considered when there is a sense of an inner stimulation or agitation looking for an outlet of expression - either through physical symptoms or through behaviour or speech. There is an overriding sense of passion and talkative energy.
- Animal: Lachesis muta, also known as the Bushmaster Snake or Surukuku
- Short Form: Lach
- Punctures and Bites, splinters, bites of snakes, ants, cats, dogs, leeches, bedbugs, bullets etc. Wounds bleed profusely, heal slowly. Bruised tissue around wound. Red, dark-bluish skin. Swollen, dark, bloody pus. Ulcers or gangrene. Burning, throbbing, or shooting pain.
Chronic or Constitutional Conditions
- Menopause with flushes of heat with no perspiration; after physical or mental effort. Rush of blood to head, burning, heat on top. Worse when blood flow stops. Passionate, jealous, intense emotions. Unable to tolerate any tight clothing Uterine hemorrhage, poor clotting. Faintness.
- PMS with nosebleeds, throbbing headache, vertigo. Exhaustion, faintness, flashes of heat, diarrhea. Nervous, irritable, weeping. Desire for open air. High sex drive. Better when blood flow begins.
- Varicose Veins which are sensitive, swollen, engorged, inflamed or ulcerated. Network of veins in skin or face; knotted veins behind the knee, in the leg, foot, arms. Phlebitis, blue-red swelling along course of veins. Hard, ropy veins. Skin mottled, purplish, livid. Easy bleeding. strong emotional symptoms
- Headache with onset in the morning, dim vision, from sun, alcohol, colds, menopause, and PMS. Pulsating, stabbing, pressing. Left-sided. Heat on top of head. Heat and flushing, palpitations. Hormonal imbalance. Sensitive scalp. strong emotional symptoms
- Behavioural concerns including jealousy, inability to control emotions, possessiveness, etc, especially in children that rebel against authority or restrictions.
- Triggers: menopause or hormonal imbalance, suppression of emotions or symptoms
- General: passionate and intense emotions, jealous and very talkative. Symptoms are commonly left-sided and move left to right, dislike of tight clothing around neck or abdomen, hot
- Worse: after sleep, slightest touch, constriction of any kind, menses, menopause, suppressed discharges
- Better: discharge, such as onset of menstrual flow or expression of emotions
- Psychological: intense, suspicious, sarcastic, jumps from one subject to the next. Fear of snakes, insanity, poisoning
- Other symptoms: alcoholism, purple, bluish, mottled skin, trembling of tongue when protruded, difficulty swallowing
- Food and drink: Farinaceous, alcohol
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Lachesis include:
- Doses ought not be repeated too frequently. If well indicated, a single dose should be allowed to exhaust its action.
- Antidotes: Arsenicum album, Mercurius, Heat., Alcohol, Salt
- Complementary: Crotalus cascavella often completes curative work of Lachesis. Lycopodium, Hepar sulphuris, Salamandra
- Incompatible: Aceticum acidum, Carbolicum acidum
- Compare: Cotyledon (climacteric troubles), Natrum muriaticum, Nitricum acidum, Crotalus, Amphisbena - snake lizard - (right jaw swollen and painful, lancinating pains, headaches, eruption of vesicles and pimples), Naja, Lepidium
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (1999) Homeopathic Remedies: a quick and easy guide to common disorders and their homeopathic treatments Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1997) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.