Naturopathic Medical Education
From Health Facts
To obtain a naturopathic medical credential (ND) in North America the following naturopathic medical educational standards must be met:
- Prerequisites including three years of pre-medical sciences at a University with a cumulative grade point average 3.00 on a four point scale. Prerequisites vary by naturopathic medical college but typically include: biology, biochemistry, chemistry, organic chemistry, introductory psychology and humanities.
- Successfully graduate from a 4-year, full-time accredited naturopathic school
- pass standardized exams after the 2nd and 4th year of study.
- pass provincial or state regulatory requirements
- meet the continuing medical education requirements of their provincial or state regulatory boards
Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges
- The Council on Naturopathic Medical Education is responsible for the accreditation of naturopathic medical colleges.
- The Association of Academic Naturopathic Medical Colleges represents the accredited naturopathic colleges in North America. The current accredited naturopathic colleges in North America are:
Areas of Training
Naturopathic Doctors undergo training similar to medical doctors plus they include the naturopathic disciplines. The four areas of training in the four year, full-time Naturopathic Medicine curriculum includes:
- Basic Sciences This area of study includes anatomy, physiology, histology, microbiology, biochemistry, immunology, pharmacology and pathology.
- Clinical Disciplines Diagnostic medicine areas of study are physical and clinical diagnosis, differential and laboratory diagnosis, radiology, naturopathic assessment and orthopaedics.
- Naturopathic Therapies There are six major disciplines that define the areas of naturopathic practice. Each discipline is a distinct area of practice and includes both diagnostic principles and practices as well as therapeutic skills and techniques.
- Clinical Experience All students must complete 1,500 hours of clinical requirements and demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of Naturopathic Medicine prior to graduation.