|See Also||Naturopathic Therapies|
|See Also||Clinical Nutrition|
The body fluids of the healthy are alkaline (high pH), whereas the body fluids of the sick are often acidic (low pH). Most degenerative diseases attributed to aging, such as cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, as well as other diseases like allergies, kidney stones and gallstones, have all been scientifically linked to calcium and other mineral deficiences that result in the body fluids becoming acidic. Acidosis is a common denominator in over 150 degenerative diseases.
When foods are eaten they are broken down and oxidized in the body, resulting in the formation of a residue. Depending on the type of food you eat, this breakdown residue will be alkaline or acidic. Click here for the Acid-Alkaline Food Chart
Tips for Alkalinizing your Diet
|Article||Acid-Alkaline Balance: The Third Dimension of Fruits and Vegetables, IHP ; April/May 2013|
1. Unless directed differently by your practicioner, consume 70% of alkaline foods and 30% of acidic foods in each meal. During the summer increase the amount of alkaline food that you consume and in the winter decrease the amount of alkaline food slightly.
3. Drink the juice of half a lemon or lime in water as a morning beverage.
4. Eat one cup of alkalinizing greens daily (kale, collards, mustard greens, rapini, spinach, or broccoli).
5. Consume millet and quinoa as an option to the acid forming grains (wheat).
6. Consume one cup of miso broth a day (1 tsp of miso dissolved in one cup of hot, not boiling, water).
7. Make blender drinks using alkaline juices, green powdered supplements and fruits.
8. Choose fish and lamb over beef and chicken as they are less acid forming.
9. Use olive oil or coconut oil as they are less acid forming than other vegetable oils.
11. It is also important to remember that emotions, thoughts, and habits have an effect on your body chemistry as well. Rest, relaxation, exercise, oxygen, pleasure, laughter, and love are alkalizing on the body. Worry, fear, anger, resentment, and the feeling of a lack of love have an acid effect.