|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Homeopathic Phytolacca is often associated with conditions that affect the glands, especially the breast, parotid and tonsils.
- Plant: Phytolacca decandra, also known as Poke Root
- Short Form: Phyt
- Mastitis with swollen, hard, sensitive, hot, purplish breasts, hard nodules, lumps. Pains radiate over the whole body yet is worse in the left breast. Glandular swelling or abscess. Sore, cracked, fissured, inverted nipples. Premenstrual or nursing pain. Loss of interest in appearance, feels like a rag.
- Sore Throat with a dark red throat; raw, burning, swollen tonsils, pharynx or root of the tongue. Painful swallowing. Radiates into the ears. Hot lump feeling. Pain at the root of the tongue; coated with a red tip. Glands swollen. Hawking and clearing throat. Much salivation. Soreness all over, with moaning. Loss of interest and great exhaustion. Pain is worse warm drinks and better cold
Chronic and Constitutional Conditions
- Breast Cancer, breast abscesses and tumours, nodules, thickened breast tissue. Heavy, hard, tender breasts. Enlarged underarm glands. Discharge of milk, blood, or yellow water. Loss of self-value; indifferent to being naked, uncaring. Weepy. Cracked, sensitive, or inverted nipples. Old scars, abscesses. Overweight.
- Arthritis, Tendonitis or Bursitis. Sore all over. Shooting, shock-like electric pains. Exhausted. Restless. Changeable areas and pains. Swollen, hot, red, joints. Stiffness everywhere. Restless, yet worse from motion. Indifference, loss of shame.
- Triggers: cold, damp weather
- General: swollen lymph nodes, faintness or weakness when standing up from a sitting or lying position
- Worse: exposure to cold, damp weather or a change of weather
- Better: dry weather, lying on abdomen or left side, rest
- Psychological: fear of death
- Other symptoms: painful dental pain that is better clenching the teeth,
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Phytolacca include:
- Externally for Mastitis
- Compare: Tincture of Phytolacca berry (sore throat and in the treatment of obesity), Bryonia, Rhus toxicodendron, Kali hyd, Mercurius, Sanguinaria canadensis, Arum triphyllum,
- Inimical: Mercurius
- Antidotes: milk and salt; Belladonna, Mezereum
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (2000) Homeopathic Remedies, A Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and their Homeopathic Treatments, Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1997) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.