|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Bryonia is a frequently used remedy in acute diseases especially in conditions that affect serous and mucous membranes, such as the pleura, the synovial membranes of joints, the gastrointestional membranes, the meninges, etc.
- Plant: Bryonia alba, also known as White Bryony or Wild Hops
- Short Form: Bry
- Headache with onset in the morning on first motion, often left-sided, worse any motion or from coughing, irritable
- Constipation with hard, dry stools. No desire, must strain, painful. Stools look as if burnt, too large. Associated with headache and irritability. Commonly used with infants and during teething
- Cough which is dry, hard, irritating, that is worse with any motion. Sore, stitching pain on coughing, holds the chest. Scanty expectoration. Splitting headache. With nausea, faintness, vertigo. Pressure like a stone in the stomach.
- Vertigo that is worse any motion, feels as if sinking into the bed. As if everything is turning in a circle. Dizzy and faint on rising. Must lie down. Nausea in the chest, confusion, bursting headache
- Mastitis with hard, hot, pale, swollen, and painful breasts. Heaviness. Irritable Prevents mastitis after weaning.
Other common conditions: Anger, Breastfeeding, Fibromyalgia, Gall Bladder conditions, Heavy metal detox (aluminum), Influenza, Liver conditions, Motion Sickness, Neck Pain, Arthritis, Fever, Indigestion, Injuries or wounds.
- Triggers: stress, anger, constipation, coffee
- General: symptoms made worse by any motion, intense dryness of any mucous membrane, extremely irritable, stitching and tearing pains
- Worse: any motion, coughing, warmth, hot weather, touch, eating, worse at 9:00 P.M.
- Better: pressure, lying still and on the painful side, rest,
- Psychological: irritable and tends to wants to be alone, often dislikes answering questions about them self and prefers to talk about business, fears poverty, financial ruin, the future
- Other symptoms: symptoms may come on slowly; tongue coated white or brownish, especially in the center; constipation with dryness and hard, dry stool
- Food and drink: great thirst for cold things, desire for meat
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Bryonia include:
- Bryonia is a common acute remedy, especially in conditions that affect serous and mucous membranes.
- Complementary: Rhus toxicodendron, Alumina
- Antidotes: Aconite, Chamomilla, Nux vomica
- Compare: Asclep. tub, Kalium muriaticum, Ptelia.
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (2000) Homeopathic Remedies, A Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and their Homeopathic Treatments, Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1996) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.