Homeopathic Veratrum album
|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Homeopatic Veratrum album is typically used for mental condtions brought on by over-thinking, over-stimulation and a lack of connection to others.
- Plant: Veratrum album, also known as White Hellebore
- Short Form: Verat
- ADD/ADHD hyperactive and disobedience, especially in children with meaningless, repetitive actions
- Mental / Emotional disturbances with critical, rude, haughty behaviour
- Diarrhea with cutting colic, vomiting, cold sweats, collapse and weakness. Watery, green, or blackish with flakes ("rice water stool"). Odourless. Large stools with straining, followed by diarrhea. Weak, faint after stool.
- Nausea with violent projectile vomiting, often with diarrhea. Intense thirst for cold drinks, vomits as soon as it is swallowed. Greenish, slimy, acidic vomit. Weak and faint, looks grey. Much saliva. Cold sweat, cold breath, cold stomach. Stomach flu with diarrhea and vomiting at the same time.
Chronic and Constitutional Conditions
- Raynaud's and other Circulation Disorders. Chilliness and icy cold hands, feet with blueness of skin. Feeling of ice water or heat and burning in the blood vessels. Cold sweats. Cramps in legs and calves, feet. Heaviness of limbs. Numbness of flesh. Milk leg. Tingling, falling asleep.
- General: strong psychological piture (see below), weakness and collapse states
- Worse: cold, cold drinks, fruit, exertion
- Better: warmth, hot drinks, covering up
- Psychological: critical, extremely restless, haughty or self-righteousness behaviour, delusion of religion or identity, can progress to mania; acute or chronic psychosis
- Other symptoms: icy cold with profuse cold sweat, cold breath, collapse with blue colour
- Food and drink: desire for very cold drinks, ice, juicy fruits, lemons, pickles, sour foods, and salty foods
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Veratrum album include:
- Compare: Veratrinum - alkaloid from seeds of Sabadilla - (electric pains, electric shocks in muscles, fibrillary twitchings), Cholos terrepina (cramps in calves), Camphor, Cuprum, Arsenicum album, Cuprum ars (intermittent, cold, clammy sweat), Narcissus poeticus (gastro-enteritis with much griping and cutting pain in bowels. Fainting, trembling, cold limbs, small and irregular pulse), Trychosanthes - (diarrhea, pain in liver, dizziness after every stool), Agaric. emetic. (vertigo, longing for ice-cold water, burning pain in stomach), Agaric. phalloides (cholera, cramps in stomach, cold extremities, urine suppressed), Veratrine (increased vascular tension. It relaxes it and stimulates the elimination of toxins by skin, kidneys, and liver).
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (1999) Homeopathic Remedies: a quick and easy guide to common disorders and their homeopathic treatments Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1997) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.