From Health Facts
Latest Edit: Hector 2014-03-13 (EDT)
|See Also||Naturopathic Therapies|
|See Also||Clinical Nutrition|
The Pritikin diet involves:
- 1. A diet very low in fat (10% of calories, with 15-20% of calories from protein and 70-75% from carbohydrates and fiber). The diet is also low-sodium.
- 2. A diet consisting mainly of fruits, vegetables, grains, soybean products, and other legumes
- 3. Stress management training, moderate exercise, and cessation of smoking.
The pritikin diet has been found to be beneficial for the following conditions:
- Gaby AR (2011) Nutritional Medicine. Fritz Perlberg Publishing.
- Máttar JA, Salas CE, Bernstein DP, Lehr D, Bauer R (May 1990) Hemodynamic changes after an intensive short-term exercise and nutrition program in hypertensive and obese patients with and without coronary artery disease. Arq Bras Cardiol.;54(5):307-12. PMID: 2288517.
- Barnard, RJ, Lattimore, L, Holly, RG, Cherny, S, and Pritikin, N (Aug 1982) Response of Non-insulin-dependent Diabetic Patients to an Intensive Program of Diet and Exercise. Diabetes Care;5(4)370-374.
- Reddy BS, Engle A, Simi B, O'Brien LT, Barnard RJ, Pritikin N, Wynder EL (Jul 1988) Effect of low-fat, high-carbohydrate, high-fiber diet on fecal bile acids and neutral sterols. Prev Med.;17(4):432-9. PMID: 2851138.