|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Homeopathic Spongia is typically associated with acute respiratory infections and coughs, yet it is also used in a number of chronic conditions such as asthma, cardiac disorders, testicular diseases and thyroid diseases.
- Origin: Spongia tosta, also known as Roasted Sponge
- Short Form: Spong
- Croup when fever has subsided. Dryness, with a harsh, barking hollow, sawing cough. Suffocating, as from a plug or leaf in the larynx; gasps for air. Burning in the chest, larynx. Sensitive to touch. Whistling breathing.
- Cough, dry, tight cough; harsh, barking, rasping, crowing croupy sounds. Cough from tickling or irritation to the throat. Wheezing. Suffocative attacks with shortness of breath.
- Laryngitis (acute and chronic). Hoarseness with sore, burning larynx. Tickling larynx. Plug or nail feeling. Dryness. Hawking constantly. Constriction of larynx, worse at midnight or during sleep with suffocative feelings and anxiety. At the beginning or during croup with barking cough.
- Triggers: cold air
- General: upper respiratory infections, disorders of the larynx
- Worse: cough is worse singing or talking, inhaling, cold air, hot room, lying down, after midnight, exertion
- Better: cough is relieved by eating or drinking, warm things, lying with the head low, going downward
- Psychological: fear of suffocation
- Other symptoms: heart palpitations
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Spongia include:
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (1999) Homeopathic Remedies: a quick and easy guide to common disorders and their homeopathic treatments Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1997) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.