|See Also||Homeopathic Monographs|
Gelsemium is often prescribed when there is an overriding sense of weakness, on any level - mental, emotional or physical. It is commonly used acutely and chronically for stage-fright, a sense of cowardiceness, or anxiety with extreme sense of weakness, even a sense of paralysis before a task or event that challenges them.
- Plant: Gelsemium sempervirens, also known as Yellow Jasmine
- Short Form: Gels
- Anxiety and Stage-fright where a person feels paralyzed and weak or unable to perform the task / assignment.
- Headache with a sense of physical and mental lethargy and weakness, confusion and mental dullness and trembling. onset with blurred vision, dizziness, light-headed, hot face and chills. Dull pain, heavy in the occiput (base of the head), spreads forward, or tight band around head.
- Influenza, gradual onset with dizziness. Weakness, chills, dullness and lethargy. Muscle aching, chills in spine. Trembling. Blurred vision, heavy eyelids. Heavy, dull pain in back of neck. Dusky, flushed face. Yellow tongue. Violent sneezing in the morning, stuffed nose or thin watery discharge. Drowsy.
Chronic and Constitutional Conditions
- * Anxiety and Stage-fright (see above)
- Fatigue and Exhaustion with mental, emotional, or physical weakness. Paralysis of the will, gives up. Dull, drowsy, dizzy, trembling, heavy limbs, muscular weakness. Poor co-ordination. Heavy eyelids, dim vision, dull headache, sore eyes.
- Fibromyalgia with heavy, weak, tired limbs, muscles, and eyes. Trembling. Dull, aching spine. Lethargic, confused, dazed. Dizziness as if drunk. Dull pain in back of head and neck (especially in sternocleido muscles).
- Triggers: anticipation of ordeals or performance, overstudying/over-thinking, illness following fright, bad news or emotional excitement, exhausting flu/after any virus
- General: extreme sense of weakness is the key symptom, dizziness, drowsiness, dullness, and trembling, wants to lie down and go to sleep
- Worse: fright, damp weather, fog, before a thunderstorm, bad news
- Better: bending forward, lying down with head held high, profuse urination
- Psychological: mental symptoms are typically intense and include mind feels extremely dull, thinking is a great effort, timid, quiet, reserved
- Other symptoms: blurred vision, diarrhea from stage fright
- Food and drink: lack of thirst
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on homeopathic principles and after a detailed case taking. The prescription recommendations below are provided only as a guide. It is always recommended to consult with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic practitioner prior to taking any homeopathic remedies, especially if your health is compromised or if your symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion. The general recommendations for Gelsemium include:
- Compare: Ignatia (gastric affections of cigarmakers), Baptisia, Ipecac, Aconite, Belladonna, Cimicifuga, Magnesium phosphorica, Culex (vertigo on blowing the nose with fullness in the ears)
- Antidotes: China, Coffea, Digitalis, Alcoholic stimulants relieve all complaints where Gelsemium is useful.
- Morrison Roger (1993) Desktop Guide, to Keynote and Confirmatory Symptoms Hahnmann Clinic Publishing.
- Hershoff Asa (2000) Homeopathic Remedies, A Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and their Homeopathic Treatments, Avery Publishing Group, New York.
- Ullman Robert, Reichenberg-Ullman Judyth (1997) Homeopathic Self-Care, the quick and easy guide for the whole family. Prima Publishing.
- Boericke W (1997) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, a Chapter on Rare and Uncommon Remedies, B. Jain Publishers, India.